How to Join FarmHouse
There are two sets of conditions to keep in mind when looking into membership with FarmHouse Fraterity. 1 - the FH requirements and 2 - the Interfraternity Council (IFC) requirements.
1 - FH Requirements
If you plan on joining FH:
- You must be a full time undergraduate student
- You must have completed 12 credit hours of approved Ohio State credit
- You must have a 3.0 GPA and receive an 85% vote of approval from the chapter for a bid
- If your grades are bleow a 3.0 then the following applies:
- A GPA of 2.99 - 2.85 and receive a 90% vote of approval from the chapter for a bid
- A GPA of 2.84-2.5 and receive a unanimous vote of approval from the chapter for a bid
- Students must maintain a GPA of at least a 2.5 to be eligible for membership in a fraternity per Ohio State rules
- You must register for IFC recruitment on-line. Click here to register.
2 - IFC Requirements
What is deferred recruitment?
Deferred recruitment is a term the Greek community uses when formal recruitment occurs during winter semester instead of during the beginning of autumn semester. A committee called The Greek Life Task Force has been commisioned by The Ohio State University to raise the standards of membership within the Greek community. One way to do this is through deferred recruitment. This allows the new collegiate students to have a semester to get acquainted with the campus and focus on classes. After accumulating at least 12 credit hours, a student is permitted to accept a bid during spring semester.
So what are the eligibility requirements for IFC formal recruitment?
1) Any undergraduate man who has earned at least 12 credit hours at OSU or at any degree granting institution, has completed at least one semester of college, and is not an initiated member of an NIC fraternity is eligible to participate in fraternity recruitment events. In addition, a man must have a minimum 2.5 cumulative grade point average in order to register for and go through the recruitment process.
2) Any man who has been a member of a local fraternity at another college is eligible for recruitment.
If I go through formal recruitment, do I have to end up joining a chapter?
Participating in formal recruitment does not mean that you are obligated to accept a bid from a chapter. Formal recruitment is a great opportunity for you to learn more about the Greek community. It is a great way to meet other men with interests similar to your own. Whether you decide to "Go Greek" or not, formal recruitment is a truly unique collegiate experience that should not be missed!
If I have more questions about recruitment, whom should I ask?
Any member of the Interfraternity Recruitment team or the Interfraternity Council should be able to answer any additional questions you have concerning the Greek community or formal recruitment. Feel free to contact the office of Sorority & Fraternity Life at the Ohio Union at the Ohio Union. We will try to find the answers to all of your questions.